"The core competency of Holistic Management is the ecologically regenerative, economically viable, and socially sound management of the world’s grasslands, rangelands, and savannas. These environments comprise two-thirds of the planet’s surface area." <ref> Savory Institute
"Individual parts do not exist in nature, only wholes, and these form and shape each other." Allan Savory
- You look outward from your whole self to the greater wholes of which you are a part; and
- You look inward to the smaller wholes that are a part of you.
This concept helps describe an environment depending especially on soil moisture by looking at:
- precipitation reliability
- the distribution of humidity during the year
- chem/physical breaking down of dead organic matter
- how quickly soil biology communities develop
Land responds very differently to various practices and tools in brittle and non-brittle environments because of the speed and effectiveness of the decay process.
Essentially, predators cause bunching and moving of large herds of herbivores which affects the environment. Lords of Nature
Timing is Everything
"You cannot overgraze land, you can only overgraze plants."
- Plants need a recovery period before a second bite is taken in order for it to fully recover.
- The process of recovery after grazing means growing an entirely new root system, not just regrowing above ground biomass comparable to before the grazing event.
- Overgrazing and overtrampling is more dependent of the amount of time and frequency animals are exposed to land/plants and not the number of animals.