Jacob Springs fruit tree program
Since 2010 Jacob Springs Farm has planted over 250 fruit trees in the Boulder area and has sold nearly 2,000 fruit trees in our area over that time period.
Our crops of fruit are sold locally and further processed into several value added products.
We annually place a large order of trees from, VanWell a wonderful nursery in Washington state and make these trees available at a bargain price to gardeners and farmers in our area.
We can offer a bargain price relative to more commercial nurseries because:
- We already buy trees in bulk
- We only sell bare-root trees seasonally (we don't have to maintain these trees through the hot season or the winter)
- We don't pot the trees and incur those expenses
- We don't maintain a costly retail operation
- We require payment in advance
- We are a "no frills" operation - Expect good advice but no warranty or documentation is provided
"Big box" retailers like Costco, Walmart and Home Depot often sell varieties that are NOT optimal for this climate. The result is that many people become disappointed after trees die, or worse, they plant and tend fruit trees for several years to find that they never get any fruit because the variety that they planted is not suitable for local conditions (see fruit varieties for cold semi-arid climates)
We ONLY sell varieties that we know will have a better than average chance of success on the Colorado Front Range.
How it Works
- Select varieties from the list below - feel free to ask us for help in selecting varieties 720 201.5725
- You send us payment, your phone number, email and a list of what you want. ($25 each for all fruit trees)
- You can mail or drop by payment at the farm: 7602 Arapahoe Road, Boulder, CO 80303. Cash or check made out to Jacob Springs Farm. If you can't find anyone - you may put the payment in the black cash drop box inside the cooler (chest freezer) marked "eggs".
- We will update the spreadsheet displayed below: look for your order listed under the last 4 digits of your phone number (you may have to scroll left
- Check to confirm and let us know if there are any problems with your order
- We will let you know when the trees come in - you will have a 3 day window to pickup your trees (or have someone else do it on your behalf)
- If trees are not picked up after three days they will be forfeited and we may sell them to someone else unless you have contacted us to figure out a plan
- You Planting trees in a timely way and enjoy them!
- There is no warranty on bare-root trees
We recommend labeling fruit trees with long-lasting tags so that we all can learn more about fruit varieties for cold semi-arid climates (please add your notes on hardiness, fruiting and flowering to the article so that we will benefit from more data on how these trees performed for you)
Availability for Spring 2016
All planted trees 3/4" caliper and up are $55 each
From the ad for 2015
Jacob Springs Farm is doing our annual fruit tree order.
All preordered, bare-root fruit trees are $20 each - these are bare root trees shipped from Washington State. Bare-root trees need to be planted soon after delivery and will be around 48" tall and various diameters ranging from 7/16" to 3/4" in diameter (depending on availability). These trees, potted, will sell for over $100 at local nurseries.
Come over to our farm to see trees that have been planted the last few years and to get an idea of how large and healthy these trees are.
We have planted and grafted nearly a hundred trees and have sold over 1,000 of these trees in the last few years with great results.
We have selected varieties for that will have the best chance of doing well here in Colorado -
Apple, Pear, Cherry, Peach, Nectarine, Apricot, and Plum trees are available
You will need to pay in advance and we will let you know when the pickup window will be in time for planting.
This is a great chance to get a bargain price on trees that would otherwise be selling for much more!
Plant an orchard!